SAA welcomes you to bring as much baggage as you need (up to 3 pieces), but please bear in mind though, once you exceed your carry-on and checked-in baggage limits, additional baggage rates will apply.
Additional baggage will be assessed and must be paid for before boarding. Travellers also have the option of paying the charge for the entire journey or to your point of transfer, if you have a stopover. For those sectors of your journey where SAA is not your carrier, please check with the operating airline for their charges.
Additional Baggage Rates
For international and domestic travel the fees vary according to your destination, see our comprehensive charts to explain the fees. Please take note that the charges quoted below are per piece of baggage.
Additional baggage rates will apply for each of the following:
- Each bag exceeding the number of pieces prescribed in the traveller’s baggage allowance.
- Each bag exceeding the dimensions of 158cm (calculated as length + width + height), but not exceeding 203cm.
- Each bag exceeding the maximum prescribed weight of 23kg (Economy Class), where applicable, but not exceeding 32kg.
- Multiple excess baggage charges will apply for baggage that violates more than one of the above rules.
Customers are able to check-in a maximum of 3 pieces of excess baggage, above their free baggage allowance. Any additional piece needs to be sent as cargo, at applicable SAA Cargo rates.
There are exceptions for the following routes.
- Between Johannesburg and Sao Paulo a maximum of 10 pieces of baggage, including your free allowance, is allowed.
- Travellers flying between Johannesburg and Lagos, and Johannesburg and Accra, are allowed a maximum of 50 pieces of baggage, including your free allowance.
For a detailed outline on SAA's baggage tips click here.