Travelling with a Disability
We want all our passengers to feel at ease and comfortable during their journey. If you require any mobility assistance (wheelchair, mobility aids, etc.) before, during or after your flight; please contact us in advance so that the necessary arrangements can be made.
South African Airways is covered by the United States rule for non-discrimination on the basis of disability. A full copy of the rule is available for you to read at your leisure.
Customers may also obtain a copy of the rule (Part 382), the regulations regarding nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in air travel, in an accessible format from the Department of Transportation by any of the following means:
- For calls made from within the United States, by telephone via the Toll-Free Hotline for Air Travelers with Disabilities at 1-800-778-4838 (voice) or 1-800-455-9880 (TTY)
- By telephone to the Aviation Consumer Protection Division at 202-366-2220 (voice) or 202-366-0511 (TTY)
- By mail to the Air Consumer Protection Protection Division, C-75 U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE., West Building, Room W96-432, Washington, DC 20590
- On the Aviation Consumer Protection Division's Website https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer
For travellers who need mobility assistance, please give us 48 hours notice so we can meet your requirements. It is important to provide detailed information at the time of booking, including:
- The type of mobility aids with which you are travelling
- Whether they are collapsible, electric or non-electric
- Dimensions, in adjusted or disassembled state, and weight
- If any medical assistance will be required
- Whether you are travelling alone or with a carer
Our reservation desk will gladly assist you:
+27 11 978 1111.
Or from the USA: 1 800 722 9675
Make sure the assistance you requested in your reservation has been confirmed before you arrive at the airport.
Conditions that require Medical Clearance
If your condition is described below, medical clearance from SAA is necessary for travellers who:
- Require an oxygen supply carriage
- Need a stretcher onboard
- Have a serious sickness or injury
- Suffer from any cardiac or cerebral condition
- Have recently been diagnosed with a disease, or undergone treatment or surgery
- Require upper torso support
If medical clearance is required, your current doctor will need to complete a Medical Information Form (MEDIF). Once completed, it must be faxed to SAA Special Bookings within 10 days of your intended flight.
At the Airport
We request that you check in early to ensure a smooth flight experience:
- Flights within South Africa: arrive at least 90 minutes before flight departure
- International flights: arrive at least 2 hours before departure time.
Upon arrival at the airport, please identify your needs at check-in. We will arrange for wheelchair transport from check-in to the boarding gate, and from the aircraft to the arrivals hall at your destination.
In the Air