What is the StepUp Upgrade Service?
SAA offers its passengers the opportunity to upgrade from Economy Class to Business Class by submitting a bid to SAA. SAA will evaluate all bids for that specific flight and inform you within 24 - 3 hours prior to departure whether your offer has been approved or not approved.
Who can make an offer?
- Passengers that hold a valid economy class ticket issued by SAA with a ticket number starting with 083 for a scheduled flight operated by SAA.
- You may submit your StepUp Upgrade offer up to 4 hours prior to departure.
Passengers not eligible for a StepUp Upgrade?
- Flight bookings which are not yet confirmed
- Free Tickets
- Tickets already using miles to upgrade
Which destinations is the StepUp Upgrade applicable for?
The Step Up programme is available on all SAA operated flights with ticket numbers starting with 083.
Can I use the StepUp Upgrade on SAA flights operated by its partner airlines?
The SAA StepUp Upgrade is available for SAA operated flights only, where the ticket issued by SAA starts with 083
How does the StepUp Upgrade Work?
- Book your flight on flysaa.com or your travel agent.
- You might receive an invitation email from SAA telling you about the service with a link to submit your offer. If you go to manage reservation, there will be a link to check whether your flight is eligible and to submit your offer or on the Step Up page, you can check your eligibility by clicking here.
- Enter your offer
- Enter your credit card details for general verification, review and confirm your offer
- You will receive an email which will contain your offer details for each leg of your flight.
- You may use this confirmation email as a link to cancel or change your offer up to 4 hours prior to departure.
- From 24 hours prior to departure all offers submitted are reviewed and the available seats in business class will be assigned. If your offer has been accepted, you receive an email confirmation of your upgrade within 24 - 3 hours prior to departure. If your offer is not accepted to you receive and email informing you on thus.
- You may proceed to check-in online for your Business Class seat.
If you booked your flight through a travel agency and the email in the booking is that of the travel agents, the travel agent may submit a bid on your behalf or they may forward the email to you and you may bid for yourself. Alternatively you may check your eligibility and place your bid by clicking here.
What will happen if I make an offer and it is successful?
You will receive an email 24 – 3 hours prior to departure informing you that your offer was successful. Your credit card will be charged by the amount you offered and a new ticket will be emailed to you.
What will happen if I make an offer and it is not successful?
You will receive an email 24 - 3 hours prior to departure informing you that your offer was unsuccessful. Your credit card will not be charged and your original travel ticket remains the same.
Does the SAA StepUp apply on a Roundtrip?
All flight legs/segment where the SAA StepUp Upgrade is available will be listed and you will have the opportunity to make your offer on any or all the legs you choose. You have to make your offer per leg in your itinerary; some legs in your itinerary might not be eligible.
Will there be additional taxes charged to the upgrade offer?
No, the offer amount includes all taxes. If there is a special type of tax in a specific country this will be shown to you throughout the offer process and will be charged as an additional amount to the offer.
What happens if I have to cancel or change my flight after I’ve submitted an offer?
You may cancel or change your offer any time prior to departure as long as SAA has not accepted your bid. If SAA has accepted your offer, you may contact us and we will evaluate if we can move the StepUp Upgrade to your new flight date.
What happens if I have to change or cancel my trip after SAA accepts my offer?
After your offer has been accepted by SAA, the upgrade amount is no longer refundable.
What happens if I cancel my offer by mistake?
You have up to 4 hours prior departure to correct your offer, re-offer or cancel the offer.
How does it work when traveling as a couple of family?
SAA StepUp Upgrade considers all passengers within the booking.
Travelling with a colleague who does not want to use the StepUp Upgrade?
Please contact SAA’s contact centre and ask for the booking to be split, you will receive a new booking reference, once that is done you may submit your individual offer by clicking here.
Can Voyager members redeem their miles for SAA StepUp Upgrade?
No, Voyager members can redeem their miles for upgrade in the same way they currently doing.
Will I earn Voyager miles for the SAA StepUp Upgrade?
Yes, you will earn SAA voyager miles for the upgrade. You will earn the base miles as per your original ticket plus additional miles for the cabin upgrade bid spent.
Will the SAA StepUp Upgrade change the conditions of your ticket?
No, the same fare rules apply as the original fare purchased including change fees and cancellations penalties.
Can I choose any amount I want to bid?
Yes. The system has a strength indicator which is a guide to show you the strength of your bid; this does not guarantee the bids success. The minimum and maximum bid amount set, is a guide on a fair value of the upgrade.
Can I offer different amounts for each of my legs of the upgrade?
Yes, you can offer different amounts for each eligible leg.
If I have an existing offer and want to use a different credit card, how can I change my card information?
You need to cancel your current offer first. You will be able to submit a new bid using your preferred credit card only after the cancellation of your first offer.
Will I be refunded the amount I bid if the flight I was upgraded on has been cancelled?
If SAA cancels your flight, SAA will try to accommodate you on the next flight in an upgraded cabin. If SAA is unable to honour the upgrade, then your bid amount will be refunded back to you.
What are the benefits of an Upgrade from Economy Class to Business Class?
- You are entitled to priority check-in and boarding at the airport.
- You have access to SAA’s lounges.
- On-board, enjoy SAA’s 180 degree lie flat beds (on certain destinations), cuisine by award winning South African Chefs and a selection of award winning South African wines.
- On the segment of your flight you have been upgraded to, you are entitled to the business class baggage allowance. Click here, to see your baggage allowance for your destination.
When one segment of my trip is upgraded, what is my baggage allowance?
Additional baggage allowance applies only on the segment that has been upgraded. All other segments normal economy class baggage rules apply.
If you have any concerns or need clarification, please email: Ticketingsaa@flysaa.com