Upgrade your Flight with Step-Up
We are delighted to offer you a fantastic opportunity to experience luxury travel at its finest. With South African Airways Step-Up you tell us what you're willing to pay to upgrade your seat from Economy Class to Business Class.
Once you have obtained confirmed flight tickets, you will be sent an email notifying you about potential availability of seats for upgrades, along with a link to our Step-Up Offer page, where you can start bidding.
If you do not receive an email and have confirmed flights, you may check your eligibility below.
All it takes is 3 easy steps
Place your bid:
Make us an offer by selecting the amount you would be willing to pay for an upgrade from Economy Class to Business Class.
Enter your credit card details. Your credit card will only be charged if your offer is accepted.
Review and submit:
We will advise you 24 hours prior departure if your offer is successful
After completion you will receive an email confirming your request to upgrade your seat, which can then be used to change or cancel your request. You will also receive an updated e-ticket with your new travel information and the amount you offered will be deducted from your credit card.
Your credit card will not be charged unless your offer is successful
1. The following terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") shall apply to an offer (“Offer”) made by you (“you”) to South African Airways (“SAA”) for an opportunity to upgrade from the economy class ticket purchased by you for travel on SAA to a business class ticket on that same flight (“Upgrade”). Offers can only be made on selected flights operated by SAA (at its sole discretion) on condition that you possess a valid and issued SAA Economy Class ticket for the concerned flight. Upgrades shall not apply to code shared flights or flights operated by other airlines. The Offer shall apply solely to the single flight sector (i.e. one way) to which it is made and not in respect of additional flight sectors within the same itinerary.
2. All persons who submit an Offer must have reached the legal age of majority in their country of residence at the time their Offer is submitted. The parents of underage passengers and/or the adult responsible for such passengers may obtain an upgrade on their behalf. You shall be deemed to have the authority to act on behalf of and to bind the person or persons named or included in the Offer to these Terms and Conditions.
3. An Offer, when submitted by you in association with a booking made with SAA, whether made directly with SAA or indirectly through other means, and presented to SAA, shall entitle the person or persons named in the Offer, subject to these Terms and Conditions, to be considered for an Upgrade. If more than one passenger exists in the original flight booking, the upgrade offer shall apply individually to each passenger in that original booking. The offered amount will, accordingly, be multiplied by the number of persons included in the original flight booking. Prior to submitting your credit card details you will see the total amount for the upgrade. Your submission of an Offer constitutes a contractually firm and binding offer which SAA is entitled to either decline or accept.
4. Persons may only submit one Offer per flight which corresponds to the purchased ticket issued on South African Airways ticket documents 083, and offers must always be made and paid for by using a credit card.
5. SAA is under no obligation to accept your Offer, and it makes no representation that you or any passenger will be upgraded. The acceptance of any Offer is at the sole discretion of SAA.
6. SAA Step-Up Upgrade is not eligible for the following bookings: Tickets booked using redemption tickets, free tickets and tickets already upgraded using miles.
7. By submitting an Offer, you agree that your Offer will remain open for acceptance by SAA at any time up to 36 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time. You may revise or cancel your Offer for as long as your Offer has not already been accepted by SAA. Once your offer is accepted by SAA, you are legally bound to complete payment for the price stated in your final Offer and you shall not entitled to withdraw from your Upgrade, except and to the extent as described in these Terms and Conditions.
8. In the event that SAA cancels a flight and re-accommodates you on another flight, any Offer
you made in relation to the original booking may be transferred to the new flight(s) subject
always to availability of seats in Business Class and at the sole discretion of SAA. If, for any
reason, there are not enough seats available in the higher class of service to fulfil your
Upgrade (only where your original Offer has been accepted), any amounts paid by you for
the Upgrade will be refunded to the credit card that was used to pay for the Upgrade.
9. There will be no refunds, credits, or exchanges once your Offer has been accepted by SAA,
except under the following conditions:
• The flight for which your Offer was accepted and on which you were upgraded is cancelled.
• The flight for which your Offer was accepted and in respect of which you were upgraded is
cancelled, and SAA re-accommodates you on another flight but in the class of service of your
• Your Offer was accepted and you were given an Upgrade, but you were not able to be
seated in the upgraded class of service for reasons attributable to SAA, including, but not
limited to, a change in equipment, a delay in the connecting flight that resulted in your
missing the connection on which you were upgraded, but excluding reasons attributable to
your own actions.
For the avoidance of any doubt, if the refund is approved, the amount paid for the Upgrade
will be refunded to the payment card that was used to pay for the Upgrade.
10. Should refunds be approved, they will be processed in the currency in which the Upgrade
amount was charged. Such refunds will be limited to the amount charged by SAA for the
upgrade and no bank related charges will be refunded by SAA.
11. The fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be
applicable even if your Offer has been accepted and you have been upgraded, including, but
not limited to, cancellation policies, change fees, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent
12. SAA does not guarantee specific seat assignments to passengers whose Offers are accepted
and who are upgraded.
13. The amount of Baggage you may carry with you is determined separately and individually for
each Flight Segment in accordance with the conditions and limitations applicable to the
corresponding Flight Segment.
14. The fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be
applicable even if your Offer has been accepted and you have been upgraded, including, but
not limited to, cancellation policies, change fees and penalties. Mileage accrual will be
awarded to SAA Voyager Members based on the amount spent for the original ticket and the
upgrade. Additional baggage is given only on the single specific sectors in respect of which
the upgrade is awarded, for more information on baggage allowances please click here.
15. In the event that your Offer is accepted and your credit card is charged the Offer amount but
the Upgrade is not provided, you shall be entitled to apply for a refund. Your request must
include the original boarding pass for the flight in question. If you are not able to provide the original boarding pass for the flight in dispute, SAA is under no obligation to refund you for the amount you paid for the Upgrade.
16. If you cancel or miss your flight in respect to which the Upgrade applies through no fault of SAA, no refund of the Upgrade fee shall be issued by SAA.
17. SAA reserves the right to modify and otherwise change these Terms and Conditions at its own discretion. Except as provided for in the preceding sentence, no amendment, modification or waiver to these Terms and Conditions shall be binding on SAA unless made in writing and signed by an authorized officer of SAA. By submitting an Offer, you accept all of the terms and conditions of the SAA Step-Up Upgrade.
18. These terms and conditions should be read in conjunction with the SAA Conditions of Carriage which are available on flysaa.com.
What is the Step-Up Service?
SAA offers its passengers the opportunity to upgrade from economy class to business class and you determine your own price by submitting an offer to SAA. SAA will inform you within 24 hours prior to departure whether your offer has been approved or not approved.
Who can make an offer?
- Passengers that hold a valid economy class ticket issued by SAA with a ticket number starting with 083 for a scheduled flight operated by SAA.
- You may submit your Step-Up Upgrade offer up to 50 hours prior to departure.
Passengers not eligible for a Step-Up Upgrade?
- Flight bookings which are not yet confirmed
- Redemption tickets
- Free Tickets
- Tickets already using miles to upgrade
- Passengers travelling with children under 2 years of age
- Passengers booked within a group of more than 9 people
Which destinations is the Step-Up Upgrade applicable for?
SAA is currently in the testing phase and the Step-Up product is currently available on a limited number of destinations. As the programme grows, and processes are improved, SAA will add more destinations to the programme. The following destinations are eligible:
Can I use the Step-Up Upgrade on SAA flights operated by its partner airlines?
The SAA Step-Up Upgrade is only available for SAA operated flights only, where the ticket issued by SAA starts with 083.
How does the Step-Up Upgrade Work?
1.Book your flight on flysaa.com.
2.You might receive an invitation email from SAA telling you about the service with a link to submit your offer. If you go to manage reservation, there will be a link to check whether your flight is eligible and to submit your offer or on the Step Up page, you can check your eligibility by clicking here.
3.Submit your offer
4.Enter your credit card details for general verification, review and confirm your offer.
5.You will receive an email which will contain your offer details for each leg of your flight.
6.You many use this confirmation email as a link to cancel or change your offer up to 50 hours prior to departure.
7.At 50 hours prior to departure all offers submitted are reviewed and the available seats in business class will be assigned. If your offer has been accepted, you receive an email confirmation of your upgrade within 24 hours prior to departure. If your offer is not accepted to you receive and email informing you on thus.
8.You may proceed to check-in online for SAA Business Class.
If you booked your flight through a travel agency and the email in the booking is that of the travel agents, the travel agent may submit a bid on your behalf or they may forward the email to you and you may bid for yourself. Alternatively you may check your eligibility and place your bid by Clicking Here.
What will happen if I make an offer and it is successful?
You will receive an email 24 hours prior to departure informing you that your offer was successful. Your credit card will be charged by the amount you offered and a new ticket will be email to you.
What will happen if I make an offer and it is not successful?
You will receive an email 24 hours prior to departure informing you that your offer was unsuccessful. Your credit card will not be charged and your original travel ticket remains the same.
Does the SAA Step-Up apply on a Roundtrip?
All flight legs where the SAA Step-Up Upgrade is available will be listed and you will have the opportunity to make your offer on any or all the legs you choose. You have to make your offer per leg in your itinerary; some legs in your itinerary might not be eligible.
Will there be additional taxes charged to the upgrade offer?
No, the offer amount includes all taxes. If there is a special type of tax in a specific country this will be shown to you throughout the offer process.
What happens if I have to cancel or change my flight after I’ve submitted an offer?
You may cancel or change your offer up to 50 hours prior departure.
What happens if I have to change or cancel my trip after SAA accepts my offer?
After your offer has been accepted by SAA, the upgrade amount is no longer refundable.
What happens if I cancel my offer by mistake?
You have up to 72 hours prior departure to correct your offer, re-offer or cancel the offer.
How does it work when traveling as a couple of family?
SAA Step-Up Upgrade considers all passengers within the booking.
Travelling with a colleague who does not want to use the Step-Up Upgrade?
Please contact SAA’s contact centre and ask for the booking to be split, once that is done you may submit your individual offer.
Can Voyager members redeem their miles for SAA Step-Up Upgrade?
No, Voyager members can redeem their miles for upgrade in the same way they currently doing.
Will I earn Voyager miles for the SAA Step-Up Upgrade?
Yes, you will earn SAA voyager miles for the upgrade. You will earn the base miles as per your original ticket plus additional miles for the cabin upgrade bid spent.
Will the SAA Step-Up Upgrade change the conditions of your ticket?
No, the same fare rules apply as the original fare purchased including change fees and cancellations penalties.
Can I choose any amount I want to bid?
Yes. The system has a strength indicator which is a guide to show you the strength of your bid; this does not guarantee the bids success. The minimum and maximum bid amount set, is a guide on a fair value of the upgrade.
Can I offer different amounts for each of my legs of the upgrade?
Yes you can offer different amounts for each eligible leg.
If I have an existing offer and want to use a different credit card, how can I change my card information?
You need to cancel your current offer first at least 50 hours prior departure. You will be able to submit a new bid using your preferred credit card only after the cancellation of your first offer.
Will I be refunded the amount I bid if the flight I was upgraded on has been cancelled?
If SAA cancels your flight, SAA will try to accommodate you on the next flight in an upgraded cabin. If SAA is unable to honour the upgrade, then your bid amount will be refunded back to you.
What are the benefits of an Upgrade from Economy Class to Business Class?
- You are entitled to priority check-in and boarding at the airport.
- You have access to SAA’s lounges.
- On-board, enjoy SAA’s 180 degree lie flat beds (on certain destinations), cuisine by award winning South African Chefs and a selection of award winning South African wines.
- On the segment of your flight you have been upgraded to, you are entitled to the business class baggage allowance. Click Here, to see your baggage allowance for your destination.
When one segment of my trip is upgraded, what is my baggage allowance?
Additional baggage allowance applies only on the segment that has been upgraded. All other segments normal economy class baggage rules apply.
If you have any concerns or need clarification please email: email@example.com
What to Consider when Making Your Offer
The success of your offer depends on a combination of factors
- The amount offered for the upgrade
- Other competing offers
- The original Economy Class fare you purchased
- Your SAA Voyager status
- The number of seats available for upgrade
Join Voyager now
Make the premium choice and join Voyager.
You will enjoy the distinction of a rewarding membership.
As a Voyager member you also experience special offers and unique deals.
Our Business Class Experience
You can look forward to culinary indulgences served with excellent, award-winning South African wines and a wide range of complementary drinks, including champagne.
Fly in Comfort
Seats in Business Class are more than seats and can recline to 180 degrees, lying fully flat for a relaxing journey. To make your experience even more comfortable, you will receive a duvet and full-size pillow, as well as an amenity bag containing everything you need to travel in ultimate relaxation.
Enjoy access to our world-class airport lounges, where you can relax and refresh, catch up on work and get ready for your flight
Priority Boarding and Check-in
When travelling in Business Class, you will have the benefit of using our dedicated check-in and boarding counters, as well as priority baggage handling at the airport.
You'll be spoilt for choice with over 100 movies to enjoy from the latest blockbusters to old favourites. You can also access up to 100 TV features, comedy shows, fun kids' programming, as well as a wide range of music and games.
You can take whatever you need with you and much more when you travel Business Class. A generous two-piece baggage allowance of up to 32kg per bag. To view our baggage policy click here.