Direct Pilot Entry Scheme
The direct entry pilot scheme is for experienced pilots who want to develop their careers with one of the most progressive international airlines in the business.
South African Airways (SAA) operates a modern fleet of wide bodied aircraft across a global network of many destinations on different continents, and a fleet of narrow body aircraft across the African continent.
It takes a quick glance at what we offer our flight crews to realize why this is one of the most sought after career opportunities within the commercial aviation sector.
Pilots joining South African Airways become part of an operation characterized by a world class reputation for safety, efficiency and customer service. We offer our pilots exciting career development prospects and more choice of fleet types and route networks, covering long haul and short haul flying, than any other African airline. Our pilot jobs provide professional stability, job security and exciting and rewarding careers. SAA offers a competitive salary with additional allowances based upon the number of duty and flying hours that are achieved.
The minimum requirements for entry into SAA as a Pilot are as follows:
- Matriculation Certificate / Grade 12 / N3 or equivalent qualification (SAQA accredited)
- Compulsory subjects: Mathematics or Statistics 101 and English (D symbol on higher grade or C symbol on standard grade) coupled with one of the following: Physical Science or Computer Science (D symbol on higher grade or C symbol on standard grade.
- Valid South African commercial pilot’s licence or higher with multi engine instrument rating;
- Valid class 1 medical
- At least 1500 flying hours which includes a minimum of 200 hours on multi-engine aircraft except in certain circumstances as determined by the selection panel; the minimum threshold may be reduced provided that the candidate has appropriate experience
- Must be a South African Citizen
We also take the following personal attributes into high regard:
- Technically Oriented
- Ability to think quickly and make quick decisions
- Ability to work accurately under pressure
- Team Player
- Customer Centric
- Results Driven
- Relationship Management
- Interpersonal Skills
- Communications Skills (verbal)
Documentation Requirements for Application
- All applicants must be prepared to provide the following documentation
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae including details of race and Nationality (CV must be in SAA format)
- Aviation training records
- A summary of all the types of aircraft flown and the number of hours flown in each
- Aviation career history and any other employment history
- Certified copies of the following
- Last page of the logbook
- Birth certificate
- South African Identity Document
- Pilot License
- Matric Certificate
- A Passport photograph
- Additionally applicants are required to include a minimum of two contactable references who will preferably be their previous employers
- Formal Education certificates are advantageous
- South African Airways is committed to Employment Equity and all appointments will be made in this context
- Candidates will be expected to undergo pre-employment assessments
- If you are interested in exploring the possibility of joining one of the most progressive international airlines in the business, please register your cv with us and remember to keep it updated with your hours!