Hurricane Sandy forces SAA to cancel flights to and from the US
Johannesburg, 28 October 2012. South African Airways (SAA) wishes to advise its customers that due to adverse weather conditions associated with “Hurricane Sandy”, it has taken a decision to cancel its flight operations into and out of New York and Washington in the United States (US).
The flights that are affected are the following:
SA 203 28 October Johannesburg to New York
SA204 29 October New York to Johannesburg
SA 207 28 October Johannesburg to Washington
SA208 29 October Washington to Johannesburg
The cancellation is effective immediately and will affect SA203 which was scheduled to depart Johannesburg for New York at 21:25 tonight. SAA would like to apologise to its customers for any inconvenience caused by these flight cancellations. It goes without saying that the safety of SAA passengers and crew remains the airline’s main priority.
SAA ticketed customers affected by the New York and Washington flight cancellations will be offered assistance either via the airline’s Call Centres, City Ticket Offices, Airport Ticket Offices or the travel agent they have booked with. Customers will be able to rebook on the next available flight (same cabin / same booking class) subject to space availability. The following options are available to customers:
• a full refund;
• a waiver of all date and flight change fees; and
• a waiver of all cancelation and administration fees.
Customers must note that:
• this allowance will apply to South African Airways tickets only, i.e. 083 ticket numbers and not on any other airline tickets or separate tickets held; and
• the offer must be taken up and tickets re-issued through an SAA office by 31 October 2012. If customers are opting to travel on a later date such travel must commence on/before 02 November 2012.
SAA Call Centre numbers:
• Johannesburg (27) 11 978 1111 or 0861 606 606
• Mon – Sun 06h00 – 22h00 (local time)
SAA Call Centre numbers
• Fort Lauderdale (1) 800 722 9675
• Mon – Fri: 08h30 -20h00 (local time)
• Sat – Sun: 08h00 – 16h00 (local time)
In conjunction with the relevant role payers, SAA will monitor the situation and will resume operations between South Africa and the US as soon as conditions are deemed safe for air travel.
For more information contact:
SAA Group Corporate Affairs
Tel: +27 11 978 2298
Mobile: +27 83 400 0041
Communication Manager (External)
Tel: +27 11 978 2760
Mobile: +27 83 414 4720