South African Airways (SAA) is providing an opportunity to aspiring pilots to participate in the SAA Cadet Pilot Development Programme, a bursary award programme aimed at assisting successful candidates with funding to obtain a Frozen Airline Transport Pilot’s Licence.
On completion, successful cadets will be required to seek employment in the aviation sector to gain further flying experience to facilitate employment within SAA among other employers in the aviation industry. Once sufficient flying experience has been obtained and should suitable vacancies arise in SAA, successful cadets will be eligible to apply for an appropriate position in line with SAA’s recruitment and selection processes.
The Development Programme will provide you with the following benefits:
- You will gain knowledge and skills in the functions and competencies required for the job role of an entry-level Pilot
- This Programme may open the door to future potential working opportunities within SAA (Please note that this is not guaranteed)
The Curriculum includes:
- Preparation Training
- Technical Training
- Ground School Theory
- Practical Flight Training
“I received the best flight training on the continent under the SAA Cadet Pilot Programme and this has made me the best at what I do. Today I am employed by SAA, flying an Airbus A340.” Moses Tshibalanganda, SAA Cadet 2002
Who are we looking for?
In order to apply for our Cadet Pilot Development Programme candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Matric Certificate/N3 or relevant tertiary qualifications (SAQA accredited)
- Compulsory subjects include: Mathematics or Statistics 101, Physical Science and English
- Subjects are to be passed on D symbol on Higher Grade, C symbol on Standard Grade or Level 5
- Candidates with/without previous flying experience/valid pilot licence will be considered
- Pass a security competency assessment
- Must be willing to relocate for the duration of the training
- Good communication, judgment and decision-making skills
- Must have the ability to multitask
- Must be medically fit
- Good hand-eye co-ordination
- Technically orientated
- Highly motivated
- Ability to work under pressure
- Must be confident and assertive
- Sign a training bond
Our Selection Process
The selection process consists of five (5) phases:
- Pre-screening of application
- Psychometric testing
- Medical examination
- Panel Interviews
Let your career take flight with SAA’s Cadet Pilot Development Programme:
If you are interested in a career in Aviation, this is the Skills Programme for you.
Please note that being part of the Cadet Pilot Development Programme does not guarantee employment at SAA.
- Please note all candidates must be South African citizens
- Candidates will be expected to undergo pre-employment assessments and criminal and qualification checks
- SAA is committed to Employment Equity and all appointments will be made in this context