Travel Advisory | Health Update on Ebola Virus
Date | 28 August 2014
South African Airways would like to advise its customers of the procedures to follow if they are planning to travel between South Africa and the Ebola high-risk areas in West Africa; the procedure is aligned with the recent decision made by South Africa.
Prior to travel to and from high risk areas; the following will apply:
• All intending travellers must request permission to travel from South Africa to the high risk areas or from the high risk areas to South Africa.
• Permission to travel must be sought from the National Department of Health
• All requests from travellers must be addressed to the Director-General: Health, for the attention of Dr Frew Benson and sent to the following address:
• Nathoc1@health.gov.za and Nathoc2@health.gov.za
• Tel: 012 395 9367 or 012 395 9366
The following information must be provided when requesting permission to travel:
• Full personal details, including residential addresses of South African citizens or in the case of non-South Africans, the address of residence while in South Africa (i.e. hotel etc.)
• Next of kin details in the case of South African citizens.
• Full details of the reasons for travel to or from South Africa.
• The traveller must complete a Traveller Health Questionnaire and submit it with the request to travel.
• A written response from the National Department of Health will be provided to the applicant informing of the outcome of the request to travel.
Template for requesting info
South African Airways remains committed to ensuring the enforcement of National and International health protocols associated with air transport and would like to urge all customers travelling to the West African region to take the necessary precaution recommended.
Next Update: Subject to a change in travel conditions.