SAA Technical (SAAT) operates a full-service MRO organisation, the largest in Africa. SAAT has held full and uninterrupted US Federal Aviation Authority certification since the late nineteen eighties, serving a range of local and international airlines. SAAT is currently providing MRO services to International , Regional and local airlines to customers such as Comair, Air Austral; Air Botswana; Air France; Air Madagascar; Air Mauritius; Air Namibia; Air Zimbabwe; Arik Air; Global Aviation; LAM-Mozambique; Lufthansa; Matram; Midex ; Rwandair; TAAG-Angola and Trans Air Congo.
Market segments include: major airframe checks; engine overhaul; mechanical components; avionics; and line maintenance.
SAAT’s main operational base is Johannesburg and it also provides line maintenance services at Cape Town, Durban and smaller South African airports, such as Lanseria, and regional airports, such as Windhoek, Kigali, and Kinshasa.
SAAT has full support structures comprising of Engineering, Supply Chain, Logistics, Quality Assurance, Finance and Human Resources, with an extensive, high quality apprenticeship program capable of training approximately one hundred and seventy five (175) apprentices per year.
South African Airways Technical delivers on consistent efficient and effective Operations:
· First in Africa to enter into the Boeing 787 Line exchange Program 787 that provides a dedicated pool of high-value, dispatch-critical parts and tooling for airlines, while helping them to improve operations support and cash flow;
· First on the African continent to perform “Winglet Scimitar Modifications” for the Boeing 737 Series. These winglets are designed as a fuel saving initiative for operators.
· Recognised and awarded the “Best Line Maintenance Provider 2015” (ATEM Awards);
· Capability in Structural Repairs for specialised Wing Rear Spar and Chord Replacement that encompasses in depth disassembly, rebuild, testing and return to service for B737-3/4/500 Aircraft Types;
· Radome Capability in the composites field focusing on the engine nacelles of CFM56-7B, Radome and flight controls;
· Line Maintenance support in Africa;
· EASA part 147 training approval in Aircraft Type Training;
· Overhauling of APU, Landing Gear and Wheels and Brakes throughout Africa;
· Above International Industry Benchmark standards for Turn Around Times and Dispatch Reliability
· Certifications (South African CAA (AM01); FAA (DW5Y820M); EASA 145.0136; SA National Accreditation Standards), as well as a number of international approvals for line maintenance
Africa’s Leading World-Class MRO’To deliver commercially sustainable maintenance, repair and overhaul services in South Africa, Africa and globally; thus ensuring safety and reliability ethos in the aviation industry.