Travelling with pets information
We understand that pets are part of your family, which is why we accommodate these inexperienced travellers as best we can.
Conditions of acceptance
- With the exception of service dogs, pets cannot be carried in the passenger cabin.
- Service dogs are carried free of charge.
- Animals must be carried as manifested cargo in accordance with the IATA Live Animals’ Regulations on all international flights to and from South Africa. Refer to the Cargo Section for more information on +27 11 9783366. Only Cats or Dogs will be allowed as excess baggage on domestic flights on certain aircraft. It is therefore important to confirm acceptance prior to travel.
- The weight of the animal and its container will be charged as excess baggage. It is not accepted as part of free baggage allowance.
- It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that the animals are properly crated and accompanied by valid health and vaccination certificates, entry permits and other documents required by countries of entry or transit as well as the NSPCA.
- If you wish to travel with your pets, please make the necessary arrangements via the SAA Call Centre +27 11 978 1111 / 0861 FLY SAA (0861 359 722).
Back to top
All dogs, cats, reptiles and primates imported to South Africa need to have microchip implants for identification. The health certificate for animal imports includes a clause requiring a microchip number, and the location of the microchip for identification of the animal. If animals arrive in South Africa without the microchip, they will be placed under quarantine at the port of entry.
For more information, please contact the Directorate Animal Health:
Address: Private Bag X138, Pretoria, 0001
Tel: +27 12 319 6000.
Due to infrastructure problems at OR Tambo International Airport, live animals will no longer be accepted as excess baggage on all international flights with immediate effect.
Back to top